Sunday 4 March 2012

Your heart or ours?


Ambience within the house maintained a perfect pH balance when I noticed an acute acidic inclination as soon as I turned 22. Ladies in the house adopted a unique mode of communication-whispers. Before I could have figured out the reason behind this weird and suspicious behavior of the 35+ gang, they gave me the blueprint of the plan and soon I was showcased in a peculiar art gallery where different breeds of men examined me, be it the way I walk or the way I talk. The procedure was very conventionally followed and finished. I walked in with a tray full of Samosas and chutni etc which were bought from the old Dhaniram’s shop at the square but the credit always landed in my hands. Solacing my little innocent heart which had no idea about the match making festival being celebrated in the house, I tried numbering the trail of questions hitting my head bang bang!!! I remember my mother congratulating my elder brother on his 22nd birthday as “you are a big MAN now”. My conjecture after hearing and silently repeating the phrase in my mind is that the word MAN in our society (the typical Indian society is what I would like to mention) is quite enough to represent adjectives like Brave, Hard working, Powerful and moreover DOMINATING. After analyzing the events more closely I am compelled to doubt the justice of nature that boys grow powerful with time and girls grow weaker or at least the SOCIETY thinks so. Family then makes an imperious set of final statements about the marriage things ending into a luring male dominating party where the bride is the only one who is prohibited to dance on her own wedding day and feels intruded. From the time when she is wooed by the metallic luster of jewelry to sign the bond till the time she enters his new possessions list, she follows their heart. She is deprived of her right to cross examine her MAN whether he can walk and talk equally well. The word rejection lies in her dictionary only if she is the one who is rejected. Why doesn’t this society realize that though the outer appearance of a woman may reflect a certain amount of weakness but her soul remains the same and as powerful as her MAN’S? She has the right to reject and refute. She has the right to choose and again reject. Why the norms of the society are still made for male convenience? Why isn’t she allowed to follow her heart and moreover one question is almost impossible to answer, WHO IS THE SOCIETY AND WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE? 

3 comments:

  1. A heart touching biography of every single women in the country, with grievous and perfectly selected words. Sometimes I feel such scripts female chauvinistic but when I look around I find everything mentioned to be a bitter truth and when I look deep in to my heart I find my peeve to be sex oriented malfunction. Women are being abused all around. But I think it has not happened casually, it's the story from the very beginning of society. Something fundamental is wrong with this species. ....
    Anyway keep writing. I have to happen a big fan of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am really thankful to you that you gave your precious time for my articles... women have been the most interesting and important part of a man's life...But still they are equivalent to that scenery on the wall which looks beautiful but is non-living... I hope someday this will change... :) :)

    ReplyDelete